My husband and I typically only see 2 or 3 movies in theater per year. Despite all the negative reviews we were reading (many from people that hadn't even seen the movie yet - ???) we decided to give the 2016 "Ghostbusters" a shot. And I'm so glad we did!
Admittedly, it's not the absolute best or funniest movie I have ever seen in my entire life. But there were still so many things to appreciate - especially when I consider the film through my daughter's eyes when she gets a bit older. These are the types of strong female characters I want to expose her to.
Here are the top things I loved about Ghostbusters (No Spoilers Included):
1. Main characters are FEMALE and SCIENTISTS
2. The plot revolved around FRIENDSHIP instead of a love interest
3. The women wear realistic clothing - they don't fight the ghosts in high heels with their cleavage hanging out
4. Being yourself and caring less about what strangers/naysayers think of you (and placing more importance on the opinion of your true friends) is a major theme of the film
5. I'm not a big fan of violence and fight scenes, but the main action scene in Ghostbusters was so cool and empowering that it gave me a chill
6. In general, the film was pretty funny, had good special effects, interesting design (set, costume, etc.) and fun cameos.
I personally hope empowering films like the new "Ghostbusters"continue to be made.